From the year 1000 to 1500
Gilles de Laval, Baron de Rais, 1404-1440
La place forte de Pornic au XIIème siècle
La forteresse de Pornic au XVème siècle
Blason de la Baronnie de Rais
The priory in Sainte Marie is given up to the religious community of Saint Sauveur de Redon.
Pornic becomes part of the barony of Rais de Machecoul.
The name of Pornic (PORSNITI) appears for the first time in the records.
Around 1100 A fortified castle is born at the crossing point of the rivers Haute Perche, Dette and Cracaud.
The Augustins of Saint Médard de Doulon join the foundation of Sainte Marie.
Sainte Marie shows its noble quarterings and adds the name Pornic to its own in order to demonstrate the natural connection between both places.
The tide mills in Pornic become some key elements of the local economy.
The barony of Rais (and the lordship of Pornic) comes under the authority of the Chabot.
The English take control of the bay of Brittany. 1362 Gautier Huet, an English captain, governs the Pays de Retz.
Between 1369 and 1380
Pornic is probably under the authority of the duke of Brittany.
Jeanne de Rais, Girard Chabot's daughter, is forced to give up the lordship of Pornic to the duke of Brittany.
The duke of Brittany Jean IV is compelled to hand over Pornic to Jeanne de Rais.
Guy de Laval takes possession of the barony of Rais.
Gilles de Rais comes into possession of the barony of Rais.
The duke of Brittany, Jean V, tries to get back the barony of Rais through Gilles de Rais's disastrous administration and acquires it in 1437.
The duke of Brittany gives the barony of Rais to Marie, Gilles de Rais's daughter.
André de Chauvigny reconstitute the integrity of the barony of Rais. The Rais have entered Brittany.
Source: "PORNIC - Etoile et Reine" by Dominique PIERRELEE, Ed. SILOË, Laval, 1998